Hi everyone, thanks for clicking on my blog post. I hope you’ve had a great morning wherever you are in the world. Today’s recipe is Empanadas which were the first thing I posted on my blog back in 2015 but for some reason I didn’t include the recipe. I enjoy making this empanada pastry because it’s light, flaky and rich in flavour from the butter and egg. My first favourite part is taking out the tray once they are cooked and seeing the sauce oozing out adding more colour to the pastry but my second favourite part is eating them (I like to eat these alone because they are so filling).
Chicken Empanadas (makes 18)
Ingredients for Chicken filling
5 large chicken breast
2 tbsp of oil for frying
1/2 an onion – finely diced
2 garlic cloves – crushed
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 spring onion – finely sliced
- Prepare the chicken, dice into bite sized chunks and season with the garlic powder, salt, chilli powder, paprika, basil and oregano. Leave this to marinate for a few ours before cooking.
- Next, heat oil in a frying pan, crush the garlic and dice the onion. Once hot, add them both to the pan and keep on a low heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan. Mix the water and tomato sauce together in a cup and stir into the pan.
- Increase the heat slightly, cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the spring onion and sweetcorn to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, then leave to cool.
Ingredients for Empanada pastry
525g plain flour
2 small pinches of baking powder
263g melted butter
1 1/2 egg
50ml warm water
1/2 egg for glazing the pastry
- Melt the butter in the microwave and leave to cool.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl then make a hole in the middle.
- Once the butter is cooled, whisk in the egg and water then pour into the middle of the flour mixture.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes until kit forms a soft dough, wrap in clingfilm and leave in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Making the Empanadas
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 and lightly oil 3-4 baking trays.
- Once the chicken has cooled down, roll out the pastry and cut out circle shapes.
- Fill half of the pastry with the chicken mixture, fold over the pastry, seal the edges using a fork and place onto the tray.
- Do this until everything is used up and use a brush to glaze the top with egg.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and serve warm.
Check out my first blog post
Follow my Instagram for more food.