Hello everyone, I hope your day has been well. Today’s recipe is Rock Cakes. Traditionally from Ireland, UK with ingredients such as dried fruit and spices which gives it the common taste. I love keeping them in the oven for an extra 5 minutes to get a crunchy outer layer but it is still soft and very cake like in the middle. These are great to make because they have a rustic vibe and can be eaten any time of the day, not so indulgent but still tastes great. Before adding the egg it might look like there is not enough liquid but just give it a good mix until everything combines together.
Recipe: Rock Cakes (makes 14)
200g self-raisng flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spices
40g granulated sugar
45g demerara sugar
50g mixed dried fruit
2 tbsp milk (I used a milk substitute)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and line 2 trays with parchment paper.
- Put the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and butter into a bowl and use your fingers to rub in the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Then add the sugars and dried fruit giving it a mix.
- Next add the egg and milk, nixing until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Spoon the mixture onto the trays and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool before eating
Please follow my Instagram for more food.