Hey everyone, I hope you’ve had a great day.
For me, breakfast is the meal I tend to struggle with the most because when I eat in the morning, I want to feel full and ready to start the day without the need to snack before lunch. I do enjoy toast, cereal or a croissant on the odd occasion but sometimes it just feels a little repetitive. I’ve made a couple of breakfast muffins in the past which I have shared on my blog and it’s something I enjoy eating because they are often packed full of nutritious foods and can be so versatile.
Although there is sugar in the recipe, it also contains chia seeds and grated apple and carrots. The finish is quite a moist, soft cake which is nice and tasty even more hearty when warm. Click here for the original recipe.
Recipe: Carrot, apple and chia seed muffins (makes 4)
1/2 carrot, grated
1 apple, peeled and grated
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Zest 1 lemon
1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
60g brown sugar
60g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
Sprinkle of oats
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a tine with 4 muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, mix the grated carrot, apple, cinnamon, lemon zest, chia seeds, sugar, oil and eggs. Leave for 5 minutes to allow the chia seeds to absorb some of liquid.
- In the meantime mix the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda in a separate bowl.
- Gently stir the flour mixture into the carrot mix until well combined.
- Spoon evenly into the muffin cases, sprinkle with oats and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool for at least 5 minutes before eating.
Please follow my Instagram for more food.