Hello everyone, I hope your day has been well.
I really liked making this cake as the method was a little different. Pound cake is known for being quite thick and dense however this cake was a bit lighter but still filling. I love adding fruit to cake and this was no exception, once baked, the aroma that comes from this delicious cake is amazing and so refreshing. Its not too sweet and the orange flavour really come through from the zest and juice. The cake can be eaten once cooled or warm with custard.
We all know that oranges are a great source of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that protects our cells from damage. Not only that but oranges contain a range of other vitamins and minerals such as potassium, fiber, vitamin A and much more. Another great thing is that the peel contains higher nutrients compared to the flesh but I’m not sure I’ll be eating the peel just yet!!
Recipe: Orange Pound Cake (makes a 7 inch cake tin)
150g caster sugar
160g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g butter, melted
1 orange, juice and zest
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a 7 inch round cake tin with baking paper. Melt the butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until a pale yellow.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and stir gently to combine.
- Next pour in the melted butter, orange juice and zest and combine everything until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes until cooked and golden on top.
- Leave to cool fully on a wire rack before cutting.
Check out my Instagram for more food!