Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.
So it’s not long been the new year, 2021 is finally here and many people are starting new diets, eating vegetarian or generally trying to be healthier and this recipe is perfect for any of the above. This meal is easy to make and the white rice can be substituted with a healthier variety such as quinoa or brown rice. I have tried to cut the vegetables quite small in order to reduce the cooking time and maintain the nutritional value. For flavour, I’ve used a bit of garlic powder but you could add any of your favourite seasonings.
The broccoli provides the body with high sources of protein and fibre which are beneficial to the body. The red cabbage contains potassium which helps to keep the heart healthy. This is a fairly nutritious meal and would be even healthier if eaten with brown rice or quinoa.
Recipe: Vegetable Medley (serves 1)
60g – 90g uncooked rice
1 small carrot, grated
Handful of broccoli, cut small
Handful of red cabbage, finely sliced
1 tbsp oil, for frying
Pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder and sugar
- Firstly cook the rice on a gentle simmer until all of the water is absorbed and the rice grains are fluffy and cooked.
- Heat the oil in a pot and in the meantime, wash and slice the vegetables.
- Once the oil is hot add the vegetables and sprinkle over the salt, pepper, garlic and sugar. Leave to sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Check the rice and add the water to the vegetables, give it a final stir and cover with a lid.
- Once both the vegetables and rice is cooked, serve and enjoy!
Check out my Instagram for more food!