Hello everyone, I hope you’ve had a great day today.
I decided to make this cake whilst watching the tv, the presenters mentioned eating a coconut jam sponge for dessert and I thought… that’s what I’ll make. It’s pretty simple to make but the taste is honestly phenomenal, especially whilst it’s slightly warm. The sponge is slightly more filling and dense than the average cake because of the desiccated coconut and the sweetness of the jam compliments it so well.
I’ve used strawberry jam in the recipe but you could try raspberry, blueberry or apricot jam depending on your preference. It could also be an idea to make your own fruit preserve that would no added sugar. Desiccated coconut is low in salt and sugar making it fairly nutritious when consumed in moderation. It is important to note that desiccated coconut is a high source of saturated fat, which is thought to be healthier because of the medium chain fatty acids that promote weight loss by reducing fat in the body however research on this is varied.
Recipe: Coconut Jam Sponge (makes 1 loaf)
135g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
135g self raising flour
66g desiccated coconut, extra for sprinkling on top
2 tbsp milk
Heaped tbsp strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together and slowly mix in the eggs.
- Add the vanilla extract, then fold in the flour, desiccated coconut and milk.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and put in the oven to bake for 40 minutes until fully cooked and golden on top.
- Place the tin on a wire rack and whilst it is cooling, mix the jam a little to loosen it up.
- Evenly spread the jam over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the desiccated coconut.
- Enjoy warm!
Please follow my Instagram for more food.