Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by my blog today.
Today’s post is a fairly healthy pizza recipe, including toppings like red cabbage, kale and sweetcorn. All very nutritious and beneficial for the body. I like using kale on a pizza because it gets nice and crispy in the oven similarly the red cabbage stays slightly hard and adds an extra crunch to the pizza. Although I have used mature cheese, mozzarella is a great alternative for a healthier low fat option.
I am aware that cabbage of pizza is a little unusual however, I often enjoy trying new things and I had a feeling it wouldn’t disappoint. Red cabbage is an amazing vegetable because it is fairly versatile and can be eaten as a side to a main meal, used in coleslaw or sliced into steaks and seasoned for a vegan burger alternative. The health benefits of red cabbage are numerous, the vitamin C acts as an antioxidant in the body and protects our cells, it is also a great source of folate which is imperative during pregnancy to help the body produce red blood cells, carrying oxygen from the lungs to other areas of the body.
Recipe: Red cabbage and kale pizza (makes 1 tray)
250g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp caster sugar
4g dried yeast
150ml warm water
1 tsp oil
3 tbsp tomato sauce
150g mature cheese, grated
50g kale, roughly chopped
40g red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt, sugar and yeast. Mix together and make a well in the middle.
- Pour the warm water into the well along with the oil and use your fingers in circular motions to form a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough for 5 – 10 minutes and leave to rest in a warm place for 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- After the hour is up, preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and lightly grease an oven tray with oil.
- Knock the air out of the dough a little, then roll out onto a floured surface until it reaches the same shape of the oven tray.
- Carefully place the dough onto the tray and add the tomato sauce, kale, sweetcorn and cheese.
- Put in the oven for 25 minutes until the edges are golden and the cheese has melted.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before serving!
Follow my Instagram for more food!
*Nutritional information was found through Google*