Hello everyone, I hope your day has been well.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, it’s vegetarian for a change and is a great side dish. These empanadas are filled with lentils, brown rice and kale, all hearty and nutritious. Although the filling is fairly healthy, it doesn’t take away from the great flavour that comes through from the rich tomato puree which really brings everything together. I do find that empanadas can be quite dry depending on how moist the filling is, so a dipping sauce, salsa or chutney would go down well.
Recipe: Rice and lentil emapanadas (makes 6)
45g brown rice, cooked
95g lentils, cooked
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp oregano
Pinch of salt and pepper
Use my empanada pastry recipe <<
Use my kale pesto recipe <<
- Separately cook the rice and lentils according to the packet instructions.
- Add both to a bowl along with the other ingredients and mix everything together until well combined.
- Set aside to cool and down and preheat the oven to gas mark 6 and lightly oil a baking tray.
- Roll out the dough and use a 3 inch cutter to make the pastry shapes.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of the rice and lentil mixture onto half of the pastry, then 1 tsp of the kale pesto recipe on top.
- Fold the pastry over the top and crimp the edges using your fingers to secure the empanada.
- Repeat the above step until all of the filling is used up.
- Place each empanada onto the prepared tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the top is slightly golden.
Check out my Instagram for more food!!
*recipe inspired by Greg Nelson Cooks*
Contribute towards more great content 🙂