Hello everyone, I hope you’ve been well today.
Today’s post is one of those recipes where you can pick and choose the quantity of each ingredient, depending on your preferences. The idea is to have a fairly loose batter that will produce soft center and a slightly crispy outer layer. Saltfish fritters are so tasty and delicious although they can be quite greasy, so a great idea is to eat this with a hearty portion of vegetables or salad. I opted for sweetcorn, peas and green beans.
Recipe: Jamaican saltfish fritters (makes 10)
2 fillets of saltfish
250g self raising flour
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1/4 small red onion, finely diced
Pinch of turmeric, black pepper, chilli flakes,
1 tsp tomato puree
Oil, for frying
Portion of vegetable or salad
- Rinse the saltfish and place in a pot with water. Bring to the boil for 5 minutes, drain the water and rinse again. Leave to cool before tearing into smaller pieces.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. Mix all of the dry ingredients together, stir in the water until it forms a loose batter.
- Once the oil is hot, spoon about 2 tablespoons on the mixture into the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes on both sides until golden.
- Place on a tray covered with kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil and put into the oven on a low heat to keep warm.
- Repeat until all of the batter is used up and then prepare some salad or vegetables and serve alongside the fritters.
Check out mt Instagram for more food!!
Contribute towards more content 🙂