Hello Everyone, thanks for stopping by my blog today.
This chicken and vegetable pie was really delicious. A nice mixture of chicken, kale, peas and beans. You really get to taste the flavours of onion and garlic which compliment everything so well. It has a very rustic appearance and whilst it was in the oven, the sauce did seep through, but the filling still remained moist which was good.
This would be great for a family dinner or if you were hosting a dinner party, something tasty that everyone can tuck into without making too much mess. I’ve never cooked cannellini beans before but they are very tasty and full of protein which is essential for a healthy diet. Protein is also good for your bones, helps to reduce cravings and increases muscle mass.
Recipe: Chicken and vegetable pie (serves 3-4)
Ingredients for shortcrust pastry (bbcgoodfood)
225g plain flour
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp water
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and use your fingers to form breadcrumbs.
- Add the salt and water to the dough and begin kneading with your hands until it forms a stiff dough.
- Knead for a few minutes, wrap in cling film and leave to chill for at least 30 in the fridge.
Ingredients for chicken and vegetable filling
280g chopped chicken breast
1/2 tbsp chilli flakes, paprika, salt, thyme, garlic powder and turmeric
1 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
20g plain flour
55ml coconut milk
230ml chicken stock
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 carrot, grated
200g cannellini beans
40g kale, roughly chopped
- First, put a pan of water to boil along with the garlic, thyme, chilli, salt, paprika and turmeric.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and add the chicken pieces. Cook for 10 minutes in the liquid then drain and leave to cool before shredding.
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until just soft.
- Stir in the flour, milk and stock. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes in total stirring consistently. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken has been shredded, mix in the carrot, beans, peas and kale.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 and lightly oil an oven tray.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and mix in the chicken and vegetables. Set aside and leave to cool down.
- Next, split the dough in half and role both pieces out to 0.3mm at a similar size.
- Put the larger piece of dough on the tray and place the filling in the centre leaving the edges free. Put the larger piece of dough on top and use your finger to wrap the edges together to form a secure pie.
- Use a fork to gently crimp the edges and slice 3 holes in the top. Cook in the oven for 35 minutes until the dough is fully cooked. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
Check out my Instagram for more food!
Contribute towards more content 🙂
*Possible amends to make to the dish: You could also half the amount of chicken stock to reduce the amount of sauce that comes out of the pie but that could make the filling a little dry. Also, brush an egg wash over the top for a more golden appearance.