Hi everyone, I hope your day has been well.
The recipe I’m sharing today is one that I’ve had written down for a few years and I finally decided to make it. It’s very green and has such spring vibes about it which I love. Its a great meal idea for those warmer afternoons/evenings when your feeling hungry but don’t want too much too eat. Its super healthy from the kale and peas and the blitzed walnuts provide a creamy flavour.
Walnuts contain the good fats and are a valuable source of omega-3, especially for vegetarians and vegans. Garden peas are a great source of iron which helps to transport oxygen around the body and produce red blood cells. There are so many varieties of kale, here I’ve used curly kale which is most common in supermarkets. Kale is a fantastic source of vitamin C, this is another powerful antioxidants that aids vital functions of the bodies cell’s. Overall, a very nice mixture of vitamins and minerals.
I wasn’t a complete fan of the taste as once its blended the flavour can become much more stronger however it’s something I could get used to. This is a vegan recipe however, you could sprinkle some cheese over the top for more flavour.
Recipe: Vegan kale and walnut pesto pasta (serves 2)
1/4 bag of kale
100g garden peas
200g dried fusilli
1 garlic clove
Sprinkle of salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Put a small pot of water to boil, add the kale and peas cooking for 3-4 minutes. Scoop out the veg draining off any excess water through a colander and reuse the water for the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the packets instructions and set aside once cooked. Saving 1/3 of the liquid
- In a blender, add the kale, peas, walnuts, garlic, oil and enough liquid so that it blends to a smooth yet creamy consistency.
- Tip the pesto mixture back into the pot and heat through for at least 5 minutes before adding the pasta. Stir everything together.
- Serve the pasta between two plates and drizzle a little lemon juice over the top.
Check out my Instagram for more food!!
Help towards making more great content!!