Hello Everyone, I hope your day has been well.
Today’s recipe was inspired by a pack of pearly barley I had in the cupboard for quite a while, but just couldn’t figure out what to make with it. I originally thought about cooking some type of soup but nothing was really making it stand out so I opted for a vegetable mixture instead. As you can see from the images, its about 5% grain and the rest in vegetables, just how I like it. I’ve noticed more recently that grains, specifically white rice, can be quite filling and make me feel bloated, so I try to eat less of it these days and it’s super processed and not the healthiest option. As this was my first time eating pearl barley, I’m not sure how I felt about it. I followed the packet instructions but I didn’t really like the chewiness of the grains, I’m not sure if it was over cooked or not cooked enough but the were almost bouncing with every bite. I’ll definitely try another recipe to if I like it with other foods but overall, this was a very hearty meal, filled with lots of great vegetables.
Recipe: Pearl Barley with veg (serves 1)
25g uncooked pearl barley
1 tsp oil
1/3 spring onion, finely sliced
1 small sweet potato, peeled, washed, cut into cubes
Handful of kale
Handful of broccoli, washed and cut
Sprinkle of garlic powder, paprika, chilli flakes, salt
100ml warm water
- Cook the pearl barley according to the packet instructions and set aside.
- Prepare all of the vegetables and heat the oil in a deep pan, adding the spring onion once hot, cooking for only 2 minutes before adding the sweet potato, kale and broccoli.
- Season the vegetables with your favourite herbs and spices, I used garlic powder, paprika, chilli flakes and salt. Pour in the water and mix everything together.
- Leave to simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat until everything is fully cooked.
- Turn the heat off then mix the pearl barley into the pan and leave for a few minutes before serving.
Check out my Instagram for food Inspo!
Contribute towards more content 🙂