Hey Everyone, I hope your day has been well.
These days, when I’m eating pasta, I like to incorporate much more vegetables into the recipe as sometimes pasta can be quite filling. If the pasta is a super processed variety it can leave me feeling really full or even bloated which is never comfortable. I’ve added a hearty portion of kale and broccoli which contain a great range of vitamins and minerals, such as antioxidants, protein and fibre, supporting the body. *A little tip for when you buy kale, wash it straight away and put it into the freezer so that it lasts longer.
Fusilli is quite popular in our household, I think it works well for simple pasta dishes and especially a pasta bake, the sauce and other ingredients get into the curls of the pasta and each bite is super tasty. I did have a few penne leftover so they went into the pan as well. I like the cut the broccoli fairly small and mix it in with the ingredients before it goes into the oven so it will remain firm to the bite. This was a very juicy pasta dish, I think because there was a decent amount of pasta sauce and the kale had been frozen prior to using. Anyway, it tasted amazing and is a perfect mid week meal to cook for the family.
Recipe: Cheesy pasta bake (serves 4)
3 portions of fusilli pasta
Pinch of salt
Sprinkle of turmeric
2 handfuls kale
5 large florets of broccoli, chopped
1/2 carrot, grated
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1 tuna tin
1 jar pasta sauce
100g cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 and get an oven dish ready.
- Put a pan of water to boil with a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of turmeric, add the pasta and cook according to the packet or a little less because it is going into the oven.
- In the meantime, wash and prepare the vegetables then place into a large bowl along with tuna and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Once the pasta is cooked, mix into the large bowl adding most of the sauce depending on how it looks.
- Evenly place the pasta mix into an oven dish and sprinkle over the remaining cheese, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes before removing the foil and cooking for a further 15 minutes.
Please check out my Instagram for more food!
Contribute towards more great content 🙂