Hello Everyone, I hope your day has been well.
I just realised that much of my baking these days contains oats, I don’t know what it is about oats but they go so well with many baked foods like cookies, biscuits and bars. I’ve mentioned it quite a few times already but oats are a great source of dietary fibre and have a range of cholesterol lowering properties. These cookies are perfect for the morning as slow releasing energy or throughout the day as a tasty pick me up. I’ve added just enough sugar for sweetness and the cashew nuts remain smooth once baked. Cashew nuts are full of healthy nutrients and a great source of protein making them very popular with vegans.
Recipe: Cashew nut and oatmeal cookies (makes 18)
100g plain flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
100g soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
50g cashew nuts, chopped
2 Brazil nuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 6 and line to trays with baking paper.
- To a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, bicarbonate soda and baking powder.
- In another larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together then mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Gently mix the flour mixture into the larger bowl, add the oats, and both nuts.
- Use a tea spoon to evenly add the mixture to both baking trays, leaving enough room for the to slightly spread.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, swapping the trays round after 10 minutes. They may seem soft but will go firmer once cooled down.
Please check out my Instagram for more food!
Contribute towards more great content 🙂