Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by my blog.
This recipe is a healthy, delicious vegetarian empanada. I’ve used sweet potato which are quite a versatile ingredient in cooking, I’ve grated it for this recipe to achieve a smooth mashed consistency without it being boiled and loosing all of its nutritional content. I really enjoyed eating these empanadas because the ingredients all compliment each other well and the pastry was smooth with each bite.
Recipe: Sweet potato and lentil empanadas (makes 6)
1 tbsp oil, for frying
1/4 onion, finely diced
1 large sweet potato, grated
65g lentils, cooked
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
Pinch of chilli flakes
Pinch of salt
Sprinkle of thyme
1/2 tsp brown sugar
Splash of water
Use my empanada recipe here <<
Use my kale pesto recipe here <<
- Prepare all of the ingredients and heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Once hot and the onion and cover with a lid for 3 minutes on a low heat, this will soften the onions without burning them.
- Next, mix in the sweet potato along with the spices and add a splash of water so it doesn’t dry out.
- Cover with the lid again and allow the sweet potato to fully cook for 10-12 minutes.
- After that, add the lentils and cook for a further 2 minutes and stir.
- Leave the sweet potato mixture to cool down. In the meantime, preheat the oven to gas mark 6 and lightly oil a baking tray.
- Roll out the empanada pastry and cut out the pastry using a medium sized bowl.
- Spoon some of the sweet potato mixture onto the pastry and top with a little of the kale pesto.
- Fold the other half of the pastry over and crimp the edges using your fingers all the way round.
- Repeat the above 2 steps until all of the mixture is used up and place each one on the prepared tray. Leftover pastry can be put in the freezer for another time.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes and serve.
Check out my Instagram for more food!!
Contribute towards more great content 🙂