Hello everyone, I hope your day has been well.
Today I made these really delicious fritters, using saltfish, spring onion and kale, which can easily be substituted with spinach or callaloo. Jamaican Fritters can vary in ingredients and are really easy to make, after combining the ingredients into the flour to make a batter, they are fried until golden. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside is the most perfect combination. They can be quite oily so they make the perfect side dish and as you can see I ate it with a little salad and broccoli. The golden colour is achieved through frying but also from the turmeric which is a great antioxidant and has many anti inflammatory properties. In the recipe the saltfish is boiled and rinsed with water only once therefore it still remains slightly salty, this allows the fritters to have a nice balance of salt, spice and herbs.
The salted fish is of course high in salt and could increase the chances of high blood pressure which is why it is boiled and rinsed to reduce the intake of salt. On the positive side, saltfish is a high source of protein, sugar free and low in fat. Kale, which is one of my favourite vegetables, is low in calories and has minimal carbohydrate content making is great for weight loss recipes, as long as it is cooked with little fat, sugar and salt. Kale is from the cabbage family and one of the most nutrient dense foods eaten today, it is also very high in vitamin C, vitamin K and a range of powerful antioxidants.
Recipe: Saltfish and kale fritters
Self raising flour
Handful of kale
1/2 spring onion, finely sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli sauce
1 sprig of dried thyme
- Firstly, heat some oil in a dutch pot.
- Prepare all of the ingredients and combine together in a large bowl.
- Slowly add the water stirring consistently until it makes a loose dough with a dropping consistency.
- Once the oil is hot enough, use a tablespoon to add the mixture into the pot.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side. preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
- Place kitchen paper on a tray and place each fritter on top so that the oil can be soaked up.
- Place the cooked fritters into the oven to keep warm whilst the others are cooking.
Please follow my Instagram for more food.