Hi everyone, as I’m writing this post the weather is pretty gloomy and I’ve just eaten my dinner so I thought I would type up the recipe. When the weather is dull I always enjoy something warm and filling and this mac and cheese was just perfect. This recipe was inspired by Carbs by Laura Goodman but I’ve made many adaptations and put my own spin on it. I opted to use rice milk as a substitute and to cut out some of the dairy, also the drop of chilli has the slightest spicy taste which I love. This recipe goes really well with kale and peas, which is how I ate it.
Recipe: Mac and Cheese (serves 2)
25g plain flour
90g mature cheese
drop of chilli sauce
Pinch of salt and pepper
(Topping: 1 tsp butter, 20g breadcrumbs, 20g cheese)
- Set the oven to gas mark 6, and place a pan of water on to boil for the macaroni.
- Cook the macaroni for 5 minutes and drain off most of the water, leaving a few tablespoons in the pot.
- In the meantime, melt the butter and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Add the milk bit by thick allowing it to thicken up each time. Add the macaroni, cheese and chilli to the pan, mixing well and pour into the an oven dish.
- Melt the butter and mix into the breadcrumb and cheese, then sprinkle over the macaroni.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top.
Please follow my Instagram for more food